Tomato soup is a cheap and healthy soup
Tomato soup is incredibly easy to make. The only thing it needs is a little time on the stove to develop flavours. If you have not made tomato soup from scratch, you should definitely try. There is a huge difference from soup made from scratch, compared to store bought soup. In addition, you get tomatoes incredibly cheap, although I would recommend a bit more expensive and better tomatoes than the cheapest. Either way you still get a cheap soup with lots of flavours. Tomatoes contain a substance called lycopene. Lycopene develops more when exposing tomatoes to heat, for example when making soup. Research shows that lycopene reduce the possibility of getting cancer in lungs, stomach and prostate. This is in other words both a good, cheap and healthy soup. Recipe makes approximately 1.3-1.4 litre.
1 kg good tomatoes for example plum tomato
2 garlic cloves
2 tablespoons tomato paste
5 dl vegetable, hen or chicken stock. Eventually a bought bouillon
1-2 tablespoons sugar
¼-½ teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
Neutral oil or if you want more flavours olive oil
Suggestion: If desired fresh herbs, such as basil and oregano, will add more and a little different flavours.
A little sour cream or crème fraiche
Directions: Tomato soup
- Wash the tomatoes and cut them into coarse chunks.
- Finely cut both shallots and garlic.
- Peel the carrot and chop it into small pieces. Pour an ample of oil in a suitable saucepan. Start by sautéing the onion and carrot in 5-6 minutes time until the onion is becoming translucent.
- Then add one tablespoon sugar and tomato puree. Stir well and add the pre-cut tomatoes. Mix well again. Let it stand and simre for 8-10 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Then add the stock and let simmer for an additionally 25 minute.
- Now use an electric hand blender, or pour the soup into a big blender. Run until you have a smooth soup. If you used a big blender, pour the soup back into the saucepan.
- Taste with salt, pepper and if desired a little cayenne pepper. Cayenne pepper is very strong, so remember you can always put in more, but never remove.
- Tomatoes have different acidity, so it is possible you have to adjust with more sugar. If you wish, you can also add chopped fresh herbs at the last minute.
Tomato soup served: With excellent bread and a sour cream or crème fraiche dollop. You can also sprinkle over some fresh herbs. Of course, you can serve traditionally with both croutons and boiled eggs.
Allergy: Low on FODMAP. A small amount of lactose if you use sour cream or crème fraiche.