Both much faster and easier to make than caramel sauce
This lovely, simple and quick to make sauce is suitable with cakes, desserts and ice cream. It has a slightly caramel-like flavour, but it is both much faster and easier to make than caramel sauce. This recipe makes approximately 4 dl finished sauce.
2 dl demerara sugar or other light brown sugar
2.5 dl whipping cream
75 g butter
0.5 to 1 teaspoon salt (optional)
3 teaspoons lemon juice
Toffee sauce directions:
- Put sugar, butter, salt and lemon juice in a heavy-based saucepan.
- Sett the stove on medium heat, and leave the pan until both butter and sugar have melted.
- Let it simmer 2-3 minutes, until the sugar has completely dissolved – Stir occasionally.
- Dilute in with the cream and stir until you get a smooth sauce.
- Let it barely come to a boil again.
- Pull the pan from the heat and let the sauce cool.
Can be stored at room temperature some hours. Tolerate refrigerating for a few days, but then it becomes a bit firm. If so, take the sauce out prior to use, and leave it in room temperature. You can also heat it gently in microwave.
Toffee sauce served: For ice cream and cakes. Suitable to serve both cold and warm.
Allergy: It is lactose in both cream and butter. It is sufficient for most lactose intolerant to replace the cream with a lactose free kind. In the case of those who are extremely sensitive to lactose, you must also use lactose-free butter. Low on FODMAP.
Read more about the different types of sugar: Sugar