This little cake can be made extremely quickly, and it’s prepared right in a mug
Spiced mug cake
Spiced mug cake is the perfect treat when you want to indulge in something delicious in no time. This little cake can be made extremely quickly, and it’s prepared right in a mug, hence the name «mug cake.» In just 5-6 minutes, you’ll have a ready-to-enjoy mug cake. The origins of mug cake likely date back as far as 4000 years, but the earlier versions didn’t resemble the modern microwave version. This type of mug cake gained popularity in recent years, thanks to a YouTube video in 2009 where it was introduced as a «mug cake» and baked in the microwave. Its popularity is likely due to being a quick, easy, and affordable way to make a delicious cake. While it may not be fancy enough to win a baking competition, it’s a delightful little treat when you want something quick and homemade without any artificial additives. You can use any mug that holds about 2 dl. You might consider using a significantly larger cup to prevent it from overflowing. However, this will reduce the visual effect, but it can be more practical.
2 tablespoons butter (about 30 g)
4 tablespoons fine spelt or wheat flour
1 egg yolk
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon milk/plain yogurt/Greek yogurt (yogurt adds moistness to the cake)
1 levelled teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon vanilla sugar
A pinch of salt
1 tablespoon jam
1 teaspoon jam
- You can make everything directly in the mug you want to bake the cake in. However, I find it more convenient to use a small bowl to mix the ingredients. A 2-dl mug is small for mixing ingredients. Therefore, I prefer to mix everything in a bowl larger than the mug and then transfer the batter to the mug using a spatula. You might consider using a significantly larger cup to prevent it from overflowing. However, this will reduce the visual effect, but it can be more practical.
- Melt the butter and add all the ingredients except for the jam.
- Mix everything well until you have a smooth batter.
- Pour the batter into the mug if you didn’t mix it in the mug itself.
- Make a small indentation, if possible, then add the jam and cover it with batter.
The cooking time depends on the power of your microwave.
1200 W microwave: about 45 seconds
1000 W microwave: about 1 1/2 minutes
Preheat the oven to 180°C and bake for 10-12 minutes.
Sprinkle a mixture of sugar and cinnamon. Add a teaspoon of jam.
Serve: Tastes delicious warm with coffee but can also be enjoyed cold.
Contains gluten. There is very little lactose in this cake, so it is generally well tolerated. Alternatively, you can use lactose-free milk or yogurt. Low FODMAP. Spelt is considered a flour with moderate FODMAP content. However, there is only a small amount of spelt flour and lactose in this cake overall. Therefore, the cake can be classified as low FODMAP.
Read more about cinnamon: Cinnamon
Health Benefits of Cinnamon: Benefits Cinnamon