Spanish vegetarian flatbread is typical peasant foods. It means a dish that is simple, rustic, cheap, with good flavours and satisfying
Spanish vegetarian flatbread
Spanish vegetarian flatbread is typical peasant foods. It means a dish that is simple, rustic, cheap, with good flavours and satisfying. Spanish vegetarian flatbread or Coca Valenciana De verduras, as the dish is called in Spanish, comes in many varieties. You can vary the topping of vegetables, according to your own taste. As well as what is in season, or what you have available. You can vary the coarseness of the bread by following the measurements in the recipe, but add more and less coarse flour. You can also choose how crispy bread you want, by baking for a shorter or longer time. This is i.e., a very varied dish, which you can largely customize to your liking.
2.2 dl water
Pinch saffron or turmeric (can be omitted)
0.5 dl extra virgin olive oil
360 g flour / here you can vary e.g., with 50/50 fine and coarse
12 g baking powder
5 g salt
1 medium onion
2 small peppers in different colours
6-8 pcs. Kalamata olives without stones
- Put all the dry ingredients in a baking bowl.
- Heat the water until you have lukewarm water. If you use saffron, put it in the water and let it soak for 10 min.
- Then add the water to the dry ingredients together with the olive oil.
- Mix everything well, and start kneading it together. If the dough is a little soft, add more flour, it becomes too dry, add a little more water.
- Place the dough on a suitable surface and knead it together for 2-3 minutes.
- Divide the dough into two equal pieces, and roll it out to a suitable shape and to approx. 0.5 cm thick. Transfer them to a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut the onion and zucchini into fine slices.
- Cut the peppers into suitably thin strips.
- Divide the mushrooms into smaller pieces, and also cut the olives into slightly smaller parts.
- Cut the spring onion finely until you have approx. 2-3 tablespoons of onion.
- Make sure you do not lay the vegetables all the way to the edges. It gives a nice taste if you have a few inches of edge.
- Start by putting on the zucchini.
- Then spread the other vegetables over as you like.
- Finish by grinding over a little salt and pepper, and sprinkle over a little extra virgin olive oil.
Spanish vegetarian flatbread ready for the oven
Bake: Preheated oven 210 ° C – high up. Bake for 20 – 25 minutes depending on how crispy crust and bread you want. Remove from oven and let the bread rest for at least 10 minutes.
Served: Warm, but can be eaten completely chilled as well.
Allergy: Lactose free. Made easily gluten-free by using gluten-free flour. High FODMAP, depends on the flour. If you use spelled flour, the FODMAP is reduced to low in the bread itself. The vegetables then determine the FODMAP content. Onions and mushrooms have a high FODMAP. If you drop mushrooms, and rather use the green part of spring onions or leeks, FODMAP is reduced to low. There is a slightly higher FODMAP in red peppers, but the tolerance limit per person is estimated at 43 grams. Thus, it should go well with a little red pepper. Green peppers have a low FODMAP up to 75 g.
Saffron is the world’s most expensive spice. Read more about saffron and what is the cause here: Saffron
Read more about what are the classic ingredients in Spanish cuisine: Spanish ingredients