Classic taste and a dish you make very quickly
French chicken gratin
French chicken gratin, or gratin de poulet is typical French rustic everyday food. It is like a lot of French peasant food, or French everyday food, easy to make. There are a few good ingredients and with Provencal spices. This gives a typical French taste. This is a dish you make very quickly, and most of the time the dish is in the oven. You cut and cut most things in 10 minutes. This recipe gives dinner to 2-3 people.
Extra virgin olive oil
400-500 g chicken fillet
Salt & pepper
2 dl cream (half and half or heavy cream)
1 tsp salt
½ tsp pepper
1 tsp Provencal spice
Approx. 150 g grated cheese
9-10 small tomatoes or 2-3 large ones
- Prepare an ovenproof mould, sauté pan or a low iron pot. Pour in plenty of olive oil.
- Remove the outer layer of the onion and cut it into slices. Spread the onion finely in the pot.
- Peel the potatoes if you like, or scrub them thoroughly. Cut the potatoes into thin slices of less than 5 millimetres. Place the potatoes neatly on top of the onion. Salt and pepper.
- Cut the chicken into small pieces. Pepper and salt lightly. Spread the chicken pieces on top of the potatoes.
- In a small separate bowl add eggs, cream, pepper, salt and Provencal spices. Whisk everything well together. Pour the egg mixture evenly over the chicken.
- If you use an ovenproof mould, cut baking paper that fits over. Then use an aluminium foil and cover. If you have a pot with a lid, you of course use this instead.
- Grate the cheese and cut the tomatoes into fine slices. Set aside.
Bake: 180 ° C for 30 minutes. Then take out the pot. Take off the lid. Sprinkle with cheese and spread the tomato slices evenly. Sprinkle with a pinch of Provencal spices and a little olive oil. Put the pot or mould back in the oven without the lid. Gratin approx. for 10 minutes. Until the cheese is slightly golden and the tomatoes are tender.
French chicken gratin served: Let the dish rest for 3-4 minutes before serving.
Allergy: Gluten free. Lactose-free if you use lactose-free cream. High FODMAP due to the onion. You can alternatively use the green part from leek.
Read more about Provence spices. This is a mixture of herbs that is typical of the French region of Provence.Provence spices
In this recipe, extra virgin olive oil is used. This oil is known from the Mediterranean diet, and has many healthy properties. Read more:Extra virgin olive oil
Read a slightly comprehensive article about French cuisine.French cuisine