English leek and potato gratin is an English comfort food classic
English leek and potato gratin
English leek and potato gratin is an English comfort food classic. It is a very versatile dish that can be used as a side to another meal if filled only with leeks and potatoes. English leek and potato gratin can be a full meal in itself if you want a pure vegetarian dish. You can also fill it with meat, chicken, or whatever you prefer, creating a solid and complete one-dish meal. It tastes incredibly delicious, and it’s easy to see why it is considered comfort food. If you add chicken or meat, the recipe will serve at least 3-4 people.
800 g potatoes
1 large leek
2 spring onions
8 dl milk
75 g butter
5 tablespoons fine spelt flour
100 g grated cheese
A little grated nutmeg
100-125 g grated cheese
250 g fried chicken thighs, chicken breast, ham, or similar.
- If you want an alternative filling, you need to have pre-cooked chicken or meat.
- Start by peeling the potatoes. Use a mandolin or a sharp knife and slice the potatoes to a thickness of 0.5-0.6 millimetres. It is important that they are evenly thick for the same baking time.
- Clean the leek and cut it finely.
- Set it aside and start on the sauce.
- The sauce is basically a regular béchamel sauce used as a base sauce for a cheese sauce. Put the butter in a thick-bottomed saucepan. Melt the butter over medium heat and add the flour.
- Use a whisk until you have a lump-free butter mixture.
- Gradually add the milk while continuously whisking. Whisk continuously over medium heat until the sauce starts to boil. Let it boil for 2-3 minutes to remove the flour taste.
- Add the grated cheese and reduce the heat to low.
- Stir until the cheese is well melted in.
- Season with salt, pepper, and nutmeg.
- Use an ovenproof mould that can hold all the ingredients.
- Start with a layer of sauce, then add a layer of sliced potatoes.
- Grind over some salt and pepper. Sprinkle half of the leeks on top.
- Pour another layer of sauce on top.
- If you have an alternative filling, add it as a layer now.
- Add another layer of potatoes, leeks, and sauce.
- Finish with the remaining sauce and a final layer of potatoes.
- Cover the dish with aluminium foil.
Bake in the oven: Preheat the oven to 200 °C low or middle of the oven. Bake for 50-60 minutes with the foil on, or until the potatoes are almost tender. Remove the foil, sprinkle with cheese, and return the dish to the oven. Let the gratin bake for 20 minutes, or until you have a golden and crispy top.
Serving: Let the dish rest for 10 minutes before serving. You can serve it with more vegetables if you wish or as it is.
Allergy: Gluten and lactose. It can be made gluten-free by using gluten-free flour in the sauce. It can be made lactose-free by using lactose-free milk and lactose-free cheese. It has high FODMAP due to lactose and the white part of the leek. If you replace milk and cheese with lactose-free options and use only the green part of the leek, you will get a low FODMAP dish.
Potatoes have been given an undeserved bad reputation, but potatoes have many good health properties: Potato
There are several good health reasons to eat more leek. Read more about those benefits in this article: Leek