Eggnog tastes delicious
Eggnog is a quintessential American beverage. In the US, the drink is widely consumed from thanksgiving and until the Christmas season. Eggnog mentioning is actually recorded as far back as 1775. The drink is now also starting to gain popularity outside the US. It is easy to understand why. It tastes delicious and has a wonderful texture. It is simple to make, and if you first have tasted eggnog, it is very easy to become addicted. If you put alcohol in the bevarage, it can also be stored for a while. This recipe will give you about 15 dl eggnog.
5 dl milk
5 dl single cream (20 % fat)
2 teaspoons real vanilla sugar
6 egg yolks
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/5 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1.5 dl room (good quality – can be omitted for non-alcoholic version)
1 pinch of salt
- Start by having the egg yolks and egg in a bowl. Add sugar and use a mixer to whisk until you get a light and fluffy texture. Set aside.
- Now put the milk and cream in a thick-bottomed saucepan. Add the spices – vanilla, cloves, cinnamon and nutmeg. Heat slowly over medium heat for 10-15 minutes. Stir constantly so it does not burn. Let the mixture then barely come to a boil.
- Whisk the hot mixture gradually into the egg mixture. Pour everything back into the saucepan, and heat over low heat until eggnoggen thickens. If desired, use a thermometer so the mixture does not exceed 82 ˚C. Pull the saucepan from the heat, and let the mixture cool slightly down, about 10 minutes time.
- Finally whisk in the room and add a pinch of salt.
- Allow the mixture to cool down even further, for approximately an hour. Strain eggnog into a suitable bowl or glass with lid.
- Set it cold in the refrigerator for storage.
Alcohol will act as a preservative, and the eggnog will develop more flavour and a smoother texture by storage. It can be stored for 7-8 days. Increasing the alcohol content to 3 dl and you will be able to store the eggnog for several weeks. You can also make non-alcoholic eggnog. Kept cold it is then not suitable for storage for more than a few hours. In the non-alcoholic version, you lose the rom taste, but if you want, you can add a few drops rom essence.
Eggnog served: You can drink it warm just after 15-20 minutes time. Nevertheless, it will mature and taste better when stored cold for a few hours or days.
Allergy: Contains lactose if you do not use lactose-free milk and cream. High on FODMAP – easily made into a low content by making it lactose-free.