It looks nice and is a hearty dish
Egg on a bed of mash
Gratinated egg on a bed of mash is a small dish that satisfies. It looks nice and is a hearty dish. Egg on a bed of mash can suit as an evening dish, brunch or for lunch. It can of course be served whenever you feel for something good, or otherwise feel for a bit of a treat. You can calculate 1-2 pcs. per person. In this recipe you get 3 pieces. Which means that it corresponds to 2 potatoes in each portion. This is a lot of food, very nutritious, and at the same time a cheap dish.
6 medium-sized potatoes approx. 500 g.
1 dl breadcrumb
4-5 slices of thin cured ham or salted air dried ham (like Parma, Serrano or similar)
25 g good butter
2-3 tablespoons single cream
Fresh herbs parsley, basil or the like. (may be omitted)
- Peel and boil the potatoes it in water (without salt in the water). Mash them to a fine mash.
- Add butter, cream and breadcrumbs. Mix everything well, but do not overdo it, because then the mash can become tough.
- Add spices and, if desired, chopped herbs. Be careful with salt, because the ham is salty.
- Then chop up the ham and mix it in the mash as well.
- Use your hands, perhaps a metal food ring, and shape into nice round potato cakes of 8-9 cm in diameter and approx. 4 cm height.
- Make a suitable pit in the mash. This is to make room for some grated cheese, as well as egg yolk and some egg white. Whisk an egg.
- Place the potato cake on baking paper on a baking sheet for the oven.
- Now brush the potato cake with egg.
- Sprinkle a little grated cheese in the pit, and sprinkle some breadcrumbs on the edges around the cheese. You will get 3 pieces based on this recipe. If you make them smaller, you can of course get more.
Bake: In the middle of the oven at 180 °C for 6-7 minutes. Then take out the potato cake, and carefully have an egg yolk with a little egg white on each potato cake. Put it back in the oven, and gratinate for approx. 6-7 minutes.
Served: Immediately. The egg yolk should ideally be runny.
Allergy: Gluten if you do not use gluten-free breadcrumbs. Thus, very easy to make gluten free. Lactose-free if you use lactose-free cream, maybe also lactose-free butter for those who are extremely lactose intolerant. Most people tolerate the little lactose as it is in this dish. Low FODMAP
Facts about eggs: Eggs
Health facts about potatoes: Potatoes