It’s an all-in-one baking form dinner, so easy to serve
Cod under cover
Cod under cover is a quick, healthy and easy everyday dinner. In this dish you get fish, and two portions of the five fruit and vegetables which is recommended by the health authorities per day. This is a relatively lean dish, especially if you use lean ingredients for the sauce such as light sour cream and single cream. It’s an all-in-one baking form dinner, so easy to serve. Cod under cover has a mild taste that should suit most people. The pieces of cod are small and distributed around, and so it does not give an overwhelming fishy taste. Thus, it should be liked by those who are not enthusiastic about fish. The recipe provides dinner for two people. If you double the ingredients, you get a dinner for four to five people.
300-400 g cod fillet or loin
150 g macaroni (long-cooked gives the best results)
200 g broccoli (approx. ½ broccoli)
200 g cauliflower (approx. ½ cauliflower)
2 sticks spring onions
1.5 dl light sour cream (alternative regular creme fraiche/sour cream)
1 dl single cream (whipping cream)
25 g of cheese
½ tsp salt
½ tsp pepper
1 pinch nutmeg
150 g of cheese
- Everything should fit in a small ovenproof form.
- Start by cutting the cod into small cubes of approx. 1×1 cm.
- Continue cutting the broccoli and cauliflower into smaller florets. Set aside. Then cut spring onions into rings. Set aside.
- In a suitably large pot, pour enough water and salt to cook vegetables and pasta. Start by cooking the macaroni. If you use long-cooking macaroni, you put in the broccoli and cauliflower approx. 5 minutes before the cooking time is over.
- While the macaroni is cooking, add cream and cheese in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring so that the cheese incorporates and melts. Add salt, pepper and nutmeg. Pull it aside and stir in the sour cream. Leave it until everything is ready. If it thickens a little too much, you can warm it up a little before pouring it over.
- When all the vegetables and macaroni are done, pour off the water. Place everything in a suitable ovenproof form. It may be an advantage to have greased the ovenproof from beforehand with a little butter.
- Spread the vegetables and macaroni out as evenly as possible.
- Add the cod, and distribute it evenly in the mixture as well. Sprinkle over spring onions.
- Pour over the sauce.
- Finally, you put on the cheese as a cover.
Baking: At 200 °C for 20 minutes
Served: Let it rest for 4-5 minutes before serving.
Allergy: Gluten and lactose. Easily made gluten-free by using gluten-free macaroni. Easily made lactose-free by using lactose-free sour cream and cream. Low FODMAP if you make a lactose-free sauce.
Read about the difference between sour cream and creme fraiche: sourcream vs creme fraiche
Read more about cream and the different types depending on the country of original: Cream
Read more about the health benefits of cod: Cod