It is an easy cake to bake and a difficult recipe to fail with
Chocolate cake with crème fraiche
Chocolate cake with crème fraiche is a moist cake. It is an easy cake to bake and a difficult recipe to fail with. Chocolate cake with crème fraiche is versatile, and you can use different types of fillings. This recipe suggests filling it with a vanilla custard cream and decorating the outside with a classic chocolate buttercream. It provides a great flavour combination, but you can choose other types of fillings according to your preference. The cake is moist because you use crème fraiche, without imparting a sour taste. It is tall, and with the suggested fillings, it becomes a rich cake. Therefore, it serves many people even though it’s baked in a 20 cm cake pan.
200 g butter
200 g sugar
200 g fine spelt flour
40 g baking cocoa powder
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons vanilla sugar
200 g crème fraiche
Decoration and filling
Pastry cream – see separate recipe: Pastry cream
Chocolate buttercream – see separate recipe: Chocolate buttercream
- Place sugar and butter in a bowl. The butter should be at room temperature. Use an electric mixer to beat the eggs and sugar until well mixed and the sugar is dissolved. Often, it is said that you should beat the butter and sugar until it turns white.
- Add flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and baking soda, mix at a slow speed until everything is well blended.
- In a separate bowl, add eggs, vanilla sugar, and crème fraiche. Whisk everything together.
- Slowly pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients while continuously mixing.
- Grease or cover two round 20 cm springform pans with parchment paper. Divide the batter evenly between them. It’s advantageous to use a scale and measure two equal amounts.
Baking: Preheat the oven to 180°C with both top and bottom heat. Bake for 25-30 minutes, but keep an eye on it and adjust according to your oven. Use a toothpick and take the cake out when there are no cake crumbs sticking to it. Note: Do not overbake, as it will make the cake dry.
Cool on a rack until you’re ready to decorate and fill it.
Decoration and filling
Fill with vanilla custard cream between the cake layers.
Cover the cake exterior with a chocolate cream. Use a spray bag and perhaps a cake spatula to get a nice impression.
The proposed chocolate buttercream is decorative and easy to apply
Allergies: Gluten. Easily made gluten-free by using gluten-free flour. The cake is suitable for baking gluten-free. Lactose. Replace crème fraiche with lactose-free crème fraiche. High FODMAP due to lactose. If you use lactose-free crème fraiche, it will be low FODMAP. Spelt flour has a moderate FODMAP content. Because there is relatively little flour in the cake, each slice will have a low FODMAP content.
Read about what cocoa powder is, and the different types of powder: Cocoa
For the more interested – read a slightly comprehensive article about chocolate: Chocolate
Learn more about vanilla: Vanilla