The perfect treat when you want to indulge in something delicious in a short amount of time.
Caramel mug cake
Caramel mug cake is the perfect treat when you want to indulge in something delicious in a short amount of time. This little cake can be made extremely quickly and prepared right in a mug, hence the name mug cake. In just 5-6 minutes, you’ll have a ready-to-enjoy mug cake. Serve it warm, accompanied by a scoop of ice cream and caramel sauce, and it tastes absolutely amazing.
The origin of the mug cake probably dates back as far as 4000 years, but the earlier versions didn’t resemble the modern version made in the microwave. This type of mug cake likely gained popularity in recent times and gained attention through a YouTube video in 2009, where it was introduced as a «mug cake» and baked in the microwave. Its popularity is likely due to the fact that it’s a quick, easy, and affordable way to make a cake that tastes good. Although it’s not fancy enough to win a baking competition, it’s a delightful little treat when you want to indulge in something quick and homemade without artificial additives. You can use any cup that holds approximately 2.5 dl. This recipe yields enough for 2 mug cakes.
2 tablespoons of butter (about 30 g)
4 tablespoons of fine spelt or wheat flour
2 tablespoons of demerara sugar or brown sugar
1 tablespoon of caramel sauce/maple syrup or golden syrup
1 tablespoon of milk
1 level teaspoon of baking powder
1/2 teaspoon of vanilla sugar
A pinch of salt
Caramel fudge in small pieces
1 small teaspoon of caramel dulce de leche
One scoop of ice cream
- Use a small bowl to mix the ingredients together. You may consider using a significantly larger cup than 2.5 dl to bake the cake in, to avoid the mixture overflowing. However, this will reduce the visual effect, but it may be more practical.
- Melt the butter and add sugar and syrup. Stir well.
- Add all the other ingredients and mix everything together until you have a smooth batter.
- Divide the batter evenly between 2 cups. It’s beneficial to let them sit in the refrigerator or on the counter for about 15 minutes. This will make the batter firmer. You should do this if you’re using alternative fillings. If you don’t, for example, the caramel fudge will sink to the bottom of the cup.
- If you’re not using alternative fillings, you can put them straight in the microwave.
The time depends on the power of the microwave.
1200 W Microwave: about 45 seconds
1000 W Microwave: about 1 1/2 minutes
Preheat the oven to 180 °C and bake for 10-12 minutes.
Serving suggestion: It tastes best when served warm, especially if you have added alternative fillings that melt inside the cake. Serve it with a scoop of ice cream and caramel sauce to achieve the perfect combination of hot and cold.
Allergy: Contains gluten. There is very little lactose in this cake, so most people tolerate it well. You can also use lactose-free milk as an alternative. Low FODMAP. Spelt flour has a moderate content of FODMAP, but both spelt flour and lactose are low in this cake overall. Therefore, the cake can be considered low FODMAP.
Sugar science for the specially interested: Sugar
Read more about demerara sugar: Demerara sugar