Oeuf cassé with smoked salmon on latkes is a lovely little appetizer
Poached eggs are not that difficult as with a little practice. Oeuf cassé with smoked salmon on latkes is a lovely little appetizer with flavour combinations that go very well together. Latkes are small potato cakes, and come from the Jewish kitchen. Easy to make and tasty in itself. Oeufs cassé means broken egg and is really only made for decorative reasons. The starter is a fusion of French and Jewish food culture. Oeuf cassé comes from French cuisine, while latkes come from the Jewish.
I use a different poaching technique in this recipe, than how one usually sees the mentioned technique for poaching eggs. See separate link and recipe for poaching eggs further down. Here an appetizer for 4 people.
350 g raw potatoes (4-5 pcs)
1 tbsp lemon essence
2 tsp salt
2 tsp potato flour
Pinch of ground pepper
200 g smoked salmon (of good quality)
4 teaspoons Dijon mustard with honey.
4 eggs (as fresh as possible)
See separate recipe where the poaching technique is described: Poach eggs
- Start by making latkes. Peel the potatoes and run them in a fine food processor, or use a mandolin / grater on the fine side.
- Put everything in a bowl.
- Add the lemon essence and mix well.
- Then add salt, pepper and potato flour which you also mix well.
- Beat the egg with a fork and put this in, and mix this in well.
- Then fry each latke on medium heat in a little oil. They should be about 8-9 cm in diameter and 1-2 cm thick. Bake on both sides until they get a nice crust, and feel firm when you press them. Wipe off excess grease with a little paper towel – leave on a rack to cool.
- Poach the eggs. See own explanation in the link under ingredients.
- Then add approx. 50 g with smoked salmon on each latke.
- Put 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard.
- Now place 1 poached egg on each latke with salmon.
Served: Sprinkle with a little dill, salt and pepper. As you are going to serve them, take a small sharp knife, and make a small cut in each egg, so that the plum flows a little outwards.
Allergy: Both gluten and lactose free. Low FODMAP
Latkes is a potato pancake with origins in Jewish food culture. Read more about the origin: Latkes
Why are eggs healthy and what is the nutritional content: Eggs
What characterizes good quality smoked salmon. Even though this is a Norwegian site, you are encouraged to buy as fresh and local salmon as possible. See this little article which characterizes quality: Smoked salomon