Berry compote is a fantastic and easy classic dessert that you can make in no time
Berry compote is a fantastic and easy classic dessert that you can make in no time. The best thing about this dessert is that you can choose which fruits or berries to use, allowing you to customize it to your personal taste and preferences. It’s important to consider the water content of the berries and adjust the amount of liquid in the recipe accordingly.
A serving of berry compote can be enjoyed on its own, but it’s also delicious to serve it with a small portion of cream or custard. Berry compote also makes an excellent flavourful complementary topping for ice cream or, for example, semolina pudding. You don’t have to limit yourself to making berry compote only during the berry season, as you can easily use frozen berries all year round. Recipe for 4-6 people:
100 g raspberries
300 g blueberries
400 g strawberries
2 dl water
2 tsp real vanilla sugar
2 1/2 tbsp cornstarch dissolved in 0.5 dl water
- Cut the strawberries in half and bring the water and sugar to a boil.
- First, add the strawberries and let them simmer for a while before adding the raspberries.
- When the berries start to cook through, add the blueberries.
- If you prefer a smoother compote, use a hand blender until you get a completely smooth and even consistency.
- Add the cornstarch.
- Bring the compote to a final boil.
- Stir well and set aside to cool.
Served: On its own – cold or lukewarm with a little cream, whipped cream, or custard. It also tastes excellent with ice cream.
Allergy: Gluten-free and lactose-free. Low FODMAP.
Read why fruits and berries are healthy, why you should include them more in your diet: Fruits and berries