This is a hearty and filling soup
Bacon and Bean Soup
Bacon and bean soup is hearty and filling. Beans are high on protein, fibre and other beneficial nutrients. Beans has therefore always been popular in a vegetarian diet. Also easily convert soup into a vegetarian dish, by omitting bacon and use vegetable broth. This is a typical American soup. It tastes delicious. It is warming, and therefore suitable on cold autumns or winter days. In addition, it is a cheap, so here you have a lot of food for a reasonable price.
12 dl chicken/ hen broth or bouillon.
1 yellow onion
100 g celeriac
2 cloves garlic (optional)
½ hermetic box crushed tomatoes
3 hermetic boxes white beans (cannellini or the like)
280 g smoked bacon cubes
3-4 teaspoons of sugar
Directions: Bacon and bean soup
- Start by fry bacon in appropriate soup pot until they are crispy. Take them out with a slotted spoon and place them on a paper towel. Set aside.
- Peel the carrots, celery and onion. Cut into fine pieces. Sauté all together in bacon fat for about 5 minutes until the onions are glossy, and the other vegetables begin to soften. If you use garlic, crush them in a mortar and add in the last minute.
- Pour the beans into a colander and rinse them well in running water. Pour the broth and the beans into the pot. Season with a little salt and pepper.
- Let it come to a boil, and let the soup simre for 50-60 minutes.
- Then pour half of the soup into a blender or food processor. Run until you have a smooth puree. Pour the puree back into the soup and mix well.
- Add the tomatoes, ¾ of bacon and sugar. Let it just get to a boil and pull soup pot aside.
- Season with more salt and pepper if necessary.
Bacon and bean soup served: Warm – topped with some crispy bacon. It is also nice to supplement with bread.
Allergy: Gluten- and lactose free. High on FODMAP