American pancakes are fluffier, and much thicker than regular Scandinavian pancakes.
American pancakes are fluffier, and much thicker than regular Scandinavian pancakes. Pancakes are found all over the world, and perhaps the most famous are the French crêpes. Unlike American pancakes, they are as thin as crepe paper, hence the name. American pancakes, on the other hand, saturate more and have a completely different consistency. They are often served with lots of syrup, bacon and butter for breakfast. This is not the healthiest thing you can eat, but sometimes you should indulge yourself to a treat. They are like all pancakes, perhaps with the exception of the aforementioned crepes, easy to make. In this recipe you get approx. 6 pancakes. You can easily double and triple the recipe. Do you want to make many and serve them hot to many? Place them on a rack and put them in the oven for approx. 80 °C until you have fried them all.
2 dl spelled or wheat flour
2 tsp. baking powder
¼ tsp. baking soda (In Scandinavia you can also use a spice measurement, corresponds to two krm.)
½ tsp. salt
½ tsp. vanilla sugar
0.5 dl neutral oil e.g., rapeseed oil
1.75 dl milk * (1)
* 1) In American recipes, buttermilk is used. You cannot buy this so easily outside the USA. You can, however, use sour milk, or have a tablespoon of lemon juice in the regular milk. Then stir and let it stand for a few minutes. Then you will get milk that is similar to buttermilk
- American pancakes are made in a slightly different way than regular Scandinavian pancakes. You should have the dry ingredients in a separate bowl and stir the ingredients well together.
- Divide the egg into egg yolk and egg white. Put the egg whites in a small bowl and set aside.
- Then add the egg yolk, milk and oil in another bowl. Whisk this well together.
- Then add the milk mixture to the dry ingredients. Now do not whisk, but gently stir the ingredients together. You can use a spatula or a wooden spoon. If you whip too hard, you get a too loose mixture.
- Once you have mixed everything well together, you add the egg white. Then fold it in, till everything is well combined. In some recipes, the egg whites are beaten stiff and folded in. This is a waste of time, as you get the same effect by only adding the egg white separately.
- Then let the batter rest for 15 minutes.
Do not use a lot of butter or oil in the pan. Bake on medium heat. Use a ladle or a measuring cup that holds approx. 0.5 dl. This gives the appropriate size of the American pancakes. Fry for approx. 2-3 minutes on one side. When you see them start to bubble, you can usually turn them over and fry on the other side. Then they are almost done, so then it usually enough to fry for approx. 1 minute. They are ready when they are golden on both sides.
Served: Freshly made and warm. With lots of syrup and butter is common. You can also add fried bacon and berries.
See recipe for making your own syrup: Syrup
Allergy: Gluten and lactose. Made gluten and lactose free by using gluten free flour and lactose free milk. High FODMAP in regular milk, soy milk and wheat flour. Therefore, replace this with lactose-free milk, but not soy milk, and wheat flour with spelled flour.
In this recipe for american pancakes, both baking powder and baking soda are used. Read more about the difference between the different leavening agents: Leavening agents
What is buttermilk: Buttermilk