Fried bananas is easy to make
Fried bananas are a classic Chinese dish. Served at most Chinese restaurants. Relatively simple and quick to make – as most dishes in Chinese cuisine. This is one of my favourite desserts, and I can never resist ordering it when I am out on Chinese restaurants. However, you can make it just as well at home. Recipe for two people.
1 banana (well ripped but firm)
Vanilla ice-cream or flavour to your liking (preferably homemade)
Some whipped cream
Bright type of syrup, maple syrup, caramel sauce or acacia honey
125 g plain flour
50 g cornstarch flour
3 teaspoons baking powder (10g)
2.0 ml lukewarm water (40-45 ° C)
0.5 ml lukewarm soda
3 tablespoons rapeseed oil
6-7 dl rapeseed oil for frying
- Mix all ingredients for the frying batter together with a mixer, until the mixture is smooth in the same manner as you make pancake batter.
- Heat the frying oil to approximately 180 degrees. If you do not own a fryer or digital cooking thermometer, you can see whether the oil is hot enough by adding a small piece of bread. When this sizzles and turns golden brown within 40-45 seconds, the oil is hot enough.
- Slice the banana into four parts, first lengthwise and then crosswise. Flip the bananas in the frying batter.
- Then put them in the frying oil and fry until golden brown. Takes about 8-10 min.
- Pick up the bananas with a slotted spoon. Estimate 2 half bananas for each person. If you are serving more than two peoples, do not fry more than one whole banana at a time.
Served: Immediately while hot along with a scoop of ice cream, a little cream and syrup, caramel sauce or acacia honey aftertaste. You can also garnish with a little powdered sugar and lemon balm. Want to make your own caramel sauce see separate recipe here on Coquere.
Allergy: Not lactose-free, if you do not use lactose free cream and ice cream. Not gluten-free, but replace the wheat flour with tapioca flour -for a gluten-free version. Tapioca flour is extensively used in frying batter specially in Asian cocking. FODMAP; bananas have a low content, but because of the wheat flour and lactose the dish have a high content. Make it both gluten-free and lactose-free and reduce to a low FODMAP content.