Cabbage soup is packed with lots of minerals and vitamins.
Cabbage soup in different varieties is found in all parts of the world, where cabbage is grown. It is possibly best known from Germany, and this soup is partly inspired from there, as well as from Asia. In Asia, ginger is often used, but also salted pork or salted pork bones, in soups like this. This soup is also quickly made. Especially when all the parts have already been cut. I.e. mice an place as it is called in the language of the chefs. Cabbage soup is packed with lots of minerals and vitamins. In addition, this is a very low-calorie soup, which still is hearty and satisfying. Recipe for 2-3 people.
½ yellow onion (90 g net)
2-3 cloves garlic
1 large carrot (115 g net)
2 dl spring onion green part
1 small cabbage head (600 g net)
1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
8 dl water (alternatively chicken stock or weak chicken bouillon)
250 g salt side pork, salt knuckle or similar. (can be omitted for vegetarian version)
2 tablespoons olive oil
Salt / Pepper
- Start by cutting separately the onion, garlic, carrot and spring onion. Put all things aside. Grate ginger on a shredder.
- Divide the cabbage in half and cut out the stem. It is often hard and a little bitter. Then cut the cabbage into strips of a maximum thickness of 1 cm. Then cut the side pork into cubes. Set aside.
- Use a suitably large pot. Remember cabbage collapses a lot when cooked. After the cabbage is cooked, if the kettle is completely full in advance, you will end up with approx. a ½ – ¾ full kettle with soup.
- Add the oil and fry the onion and garlic quickly until the onion is slightly shiny. Put in the ginger and stir well for about 1-2 min. Pull the kettle aside.
- Now put in all the cabbage. Pour on water or stock. Bring to the boil and let it all boil for approx. 10 min. Then add in the carrot and side pork. Let it simmer for another 20-30 minutes.
- Finally add the spring onion and let it simmer further for 2-3 min.
- Season with salt and pepper to your liking.
Served: Immediately. Can be stored in a refrigerator in a tight box for up to 3-4 days. As well as frozen for approx. 3 months This soup is best freshly made, or the day after.
Allergy: Gluten and lactose free. High on FOOMAP. This soup cannot be made with low FOOMAP.
Total calories in the soup: 1150 kcal, if you use side pork. The soup gives approx. 5 servings, i.e. approx. 235 kcal pr. portion.
Why you should eat cabbage: About Cabbage