In this recipe you have tasteful and cheap dinner. Bread pudding is easy to make.
Bread pudding is best known as dessert, but it can also be served as a savoury version like this one. Bread pudding is dinner on a low budget, but there is no compromise on the taste. In this recipe you have tasteful dinner that is easy to make. It is a hearty dish, and this recipe give you a dinner for at least 4 people. You can fill it to your liking, and here’s my suggestion.
120-140 g bacon
½ – 1 onion
1 clove garlic
100 g spinach leaves
150 g mushrooms
About. 200 g grated cheese
About. 250 g bread or approx. 10 slices toast size.
3.5 dl milk
1 tsp salt
1 teaspoon ground pepper
1 pinch of nutmeg
A little butter / oil
- Leave the bread slices out to dry a bit, or toast them lightly in a toaster. Not so much that they get colour. Cut away crusts and adjust to your mould. You should have enough bread so that you get two layers.
- Cut the onion into slices, and finely chop the garlic. Cut the mushrooms into coarse pieces. Cut the bacon into suitable cubes.
- Lightly fry mushrooms, garlic and bacon in a pan. Set aside. Then fry the spinach so that it collapses. Set aside.
- Whisk together eggs, milk and spices.
- Grease the mould. Then add a layer of bread. Distribute evenly over approx. half of the raw onion, and the mixture with mushrooms, garlic and bacon. As well as the spinach. Sprinkle over approx. half of the cheese. Add a new layer and repeat it all, except for the cheese. Now pour over the egg mixture. Use e.g. adhesive plastic and lay it tightly down. Press lightly around so that all the bread is soaked in the egg mixture. Leave the mould for 30-60 min.
- Before you put it in the oven sprinkle over the rest of the cheese.
Bake: 200 °C in the middle of the oven for approx. 30 minutes, or until the bread pudding is firm and you have a golden crust on top. Take out and let the bread pudding rest for 10 min.
Served: Warm and optionally with a salad.
Allergy: Gluten and lactose. Easy to make both gluten- and lactose-free. Use gluten-free bread and lactose-free milk. High on FODMAP. You can reduce this by using spelled bread or gluten-free bread and lactose-free milk. There is a high FODMAP in mushrooms and onions. You can replace these with other ingredients such as. the green part of the spring onion.
Read more about bread pudding: Bread pudding