Banana trifle pie
Banana trifle pie is a simple and hearty dessert. It’s a flavour bomb with delicious crunchy bottom, the creamy vanilla, banana, and salt caramel sauce is favourable by most. You will quickly understand that this is a dessert you can make by tricking a lot, and most of the ingredients you can buy premade. What I do not recommend is to use store bought caramel sauce. It is usually too thin, and lacks both depth and salt flavour. Purchased vanilla cream is a good option to make it easier. Of course, the taste is not the same, as made from scratch with real vanilla. Banana trifle pie is such a hearty dessert that I make it in small portions. Gave 8 desserts with my bowls.
180 g of digestive crackers or graham crackers
3 teaspoons of sugar
75 g butter
See own recipe, where you use 3½ tablespoons of corn starch flour: Pasttry cream
Salt caramel sauce
See own recipe, where you use 2 – 2 ½ dl cream and 1 ½ teaspoon salt: Caramel sauce
Banana slices, chocolate or the like
- Start by making the vanilla cream as described in the recipe. You should have a thick cream, so you need to 3 ½ tablespoons of corn starch flour. Leave it to cool to room temperature.
- Then make the caramel sauce as described in the recipe. Also let this stand to cool down to room temperature.
- Crush digestive biscuits or run it in a food processor.
- Add sugar, melt the butter and pour it over the biscuit. Mix well.
- Then have 1-2 tablespoons of finished biscuit over in suitable portion forms. Use a glass or similar, to press down lightly. You should get approx. 1 cm pie bottom.
- Pour the vanilla cream into the bowls. You can use a piping bag or the like. It can be easier if you have small bowls. Make sure you have a layer of 2-2 ½ cm thick.
- Peel the bananas and cut them into appropriate slices. I use approx. ½ cm thickness. Now put in a fine layer of bananas over the vanilla cream, until it is completely covered.
- Then pour the caramel sauce until the banana slices also are covered. Put in the refrigerator 1-2 hours or until serving.
Served: With some whipped cream. You can also decorate more with e.g. chocolate, banana slices or the like
Allergy: Both gluten and lactose. Easley made gluten- and lactose-free by using gluten-free digestive biscuits, lactose-free milk in the vanilla cream, and lactose-free cream in the caramel sauce. High FODMAP is due to the flour in the biscuit and lactose. You will get low FODMAP in the same way as described above by making it gluten- and lactose free